POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : SEM neuron : Re: SEM neuron Server Time
16 Aug 2024 16:22:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SEM neuron
From: John Bradshaw
Date: 20 Feb 2002 12:24:31
Message: <3c73dbcf@news.povray.org>
Thanks for your comments and perspective of an actual SEM user.

> An SEM has a detector off to one side.  So in effect surfaces which face
the
> detector will be brighter (higher collection yield) than those which face
> away. Your image gives the feeling that the detector is in the center of
the
> sample, if there's not multiple light sources.

I've added another light source about 80 degrees to the right, we'll see if
that helps.

> It looks, however, as if it were stainless steel, with very little beam
> penetration into the sample.  Contrast this with "record 22 of 700; Title:
> 'Blood cell' " in the image gallery at.
> http://www.uq.edu.au/nanoworld/images_1.html

Hmmm, perhaps a little scattering media. Hate to see those render times
though.

> The "etched steel" effect in your texture normal is a bit troublesome.
Here
> the concern is not so much with SEM physics but with the intuitive feel of
> cells: things should be more round, even like "Lung surface: image 39 of
> 700" at that gallery.

Again, I think the biggest problem with the texture is that it is only a
bump map. If I knew of a way to introduce a little noise into my mesh....